• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

So I did a thing!

Huey

Famous
When Cyber Monday rolled around, on a whim, looked at tv's on Amazon. Saw this huge 85 inch Samsung tv that was 36% off, and on impulse clicked the buy button. Woke up at 5 the next morning, instant regret, and canceled soon there after. Second time I've had an 85 inch tv in the cart, although the first one was a reconditioned one and I ended settling for a 75 inch.

Well I guess that lit a fire, as I did pull the trigger on another Samsung 85 inch tv, and that was after reading some reviews and seeing a comparison between it and the next model up, I figured this was a decent buy. It was delivered Saturday, and best delivery guys that I've ever had. Timeframe was 7-5, and I got a text at 6:45 that they would be there at 7. It hadn't been on the truck long, so after they placed it on the stand, I turned it on briefly to see that it worked. Let it warm up a few hours and then started playing around with it. I was disappointed in the picture at first, but it was more the source that was the problem, as I could see the issues on the 75 inch that we moved to another room. That was short lived though, as once I got the picture settings tweaked using the WOW disk, holy smokes!

I didn't think moving up 10 inches would make a difference, but it does. The actual screen I think is nicer on my 75 inch, but when viewing, the new one looks great, and better, with 4K material than the 75 inch. Watching The Two Towers last night, and certain scenes almost seemed 3D. The biggest complaint about the 75 inch, is that color banding was horrible on certain shows, and this one shows none of that. Very happy with my purchase, even though I didn't need it. Had a good year, so this was a treat to myself, although being so close to Christmas, it did cost me a new iPhone 14 for the wife. She deserves it though as she was still using an iPhone 6 that was really getting long in the tooth.

Samsung QN85QN85B

Sweet
It's awesome when purchases exceed expectations

I'm jealous as I've been wanting to upsize the 70" living room TV but, besides being broke, it'd be an ordeal WRT to mounting.

Super jealous I just replaced my 70 with another 70 because the first one died.

If my 100" projector dies I would probably replace it with a 85"-98" display.

Sweet
It's awesome when purchases exceed expectations

I'm jealous as I've been wanting to upsize the 70" living room TV but, besides being broke, it'd be an ordeal WRT to mounting.
I was a little worried at first, but the more I watch it, the more I'm really liking the picture.

I should mount the tv, either to the wall or the stand, which came with the mounting arm and hardware, but the stand is only made for a 73 inch tv, although the weight rating is 300 pounds. I was afraid it would look really weird on the stand with part of hanging over the edge on both sides, but I have two towers left over from an entertainment system we had, that go right beside it, and it actually looks pretty good.

Super jealous I just replaced my 70 with another 70 because the first one died.

If my 100" projector dies I would probably replace it with a 85"-98" display.
Do it Randy, Do it! I didn't need to upgrade, but I really haven't splurged on myself in awhile, and overall I'm pretty happy with my decision. We have the grandson over for a couple of days, and I'm pretty sure he and I will have to watch Krampus tonight, which I'm looking forward to doing with him.

Do it Randy, Do it! I didn't need to upgrade, but I really haven't splurged on myself in awhile, and overall I'm pretty happy with my decision. We have the grandson over for a couple of days, and I'm pretty sure he and I will have to watch Krampus tonight, which I'm looking forward to doing with him.
I get it my I spend almost 0 on myself.
I literally do next to nothing.
I doubt my projector setup will die anyway, it barely gets used.

Yup 10” doesn’t sound like much (in this context :D) but thats a 28% increase in screen real estate…..Not insignificant at all.

F7A7F8D9-CA73-47D1-A65E-9CA18BFFE9B7.jpegE941F6F6-1CEA-4AF2-A138-B9700A2AEBBB.jpeg

I get it my I spend almost 0 on myself.
I literally do next to nothing.
I doubt my projector setup will die anyway, it barely gets used.
Well, projector could always have an "accident" and boom, time for an upgrade.

I should add, I paid less for this tv than I did the smaller one 4 years ago. Prices on the larger televisions have dropped some over the last couple of years.

^ not uncommon in the consumer electronics industry….. I paid less for my 85” Sony 4K than my dad paid for his first 42” Panasonic EDTV Plasma.

I ordered the 4k Spears and Munsill calibration disk, and realized that I don't have the knowledge in how to use most of the test patterns. I have the Disney Wow bluray, but found out when using that, even though it's upconverted, it still sets things up for a bluray environment, not 4k. I did discover a setting that is new on the Samsung tv's, Film maker mode. It sounded gimmicky at first, but it actually turns off all, or most, processing and tries to deliver a picture as the director intended. I was skeptical at first, because in the 4k setting, it maxed out brightness and contrast, but when trying to setup initially, I had to increase the setting for shadow detail to get stuff to show up in test patterns. There must be something more going on in the background on that setting, because setting the movie setting up with the same exact numbers, and the picture looks better in the movie maker mode. Still very happy with this set. Thought I already had a pretty good set before, but Samsung has definitely improved on something that was already pretty good. As promised, here's a picture, although it doesn't do it justice.

tv.jpg

Film maker mode is not great for football. Ask me how I know. LOL
How do you know? lol Football has to be one of the worst things to watch as the tv's get bigger, especially when there is lots of grass in the picture. Not sure if it's from being overly compressed or what, but I always see lots of artifacts when watching football.

How do you know? lol Football has to be one of the worst things to watch as the tv's get bigger, especially when there is lots of grass in the picture. Not sure if it's from being overly compressed or what, but I always see lots of artifacts when watching football.
Ive been pretty impressed with most of the football I have watched.
I remember a college football game was the first HD signal I ever saw. I was on a loop at the local hifi shop.

Ive been pretty impressed with most of the football I have watched.
I remember a college football game was the first HD signal I ever saw. I was on a loop at the local hifi shop.
I'm not saying it looks horrific, but if you get closer to the screen, at least on most of the tv's I've had, the grass almost flickers like the tv is having a hard time rendering the picture. I'm sure it's mostly from being live and the compression they use on the signal, but I don't remember seeing it any of the shows I've watched.

I'm curious, because I don't think I've seen anything advertised about it, but are any of the sport programs out there in 4k yet?

Back