• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Shadows of Mordor

jomari

War Never Changes
Famous
main_thumbnail.png

Since i am still waiting on the next gen's er... next gen, i opted to purchase this one for now. (yes we can talk shop about ps3 vs ps4 some other time)

This one is being compared to AC a lot as well as the batman series. Both great sandbox (meh... in a broad greyish manner) kinda game, and i liked their mechanics. mesh em together to spurt another game set in mordor and voila.

Shadows of Mordor.

I never did purchase the other LOTR based games, but this one definitely caught my eye. Big expectations for me this coming tuesday. Id love to hear from those who played it, and hoping to share my thoughts as well for those who care.

Pauly, its also on pc. :happy-smileygiantred:

I saw that one... dunno, I'm really not into MMO/sandbox type games. I'm interested in hearing what you think of it, compared to, say, Skyrim.

PaulyT said:
I saw that one... dunno, I'm really not into MMO/sandbox type games. I'm interested in hearing what you think of it, compared to, say, Skyrim.

its more or less linear than we think. i can say based on other reviews, that its sort of what AC was 'supposed' to evolve into. not to say that AC is a bit behind, but with numerous releases, it seems to need a bit more change. which, by the way, showed itself with the new 'descending' system it has now in unity. one of the challenges with AC's parkhour was that if you chose to release the trigger at the wrong moment, it would either make you climb a wall or end up jumping off a cliff.

anyways, lets see how this goes. im excited! im also dreadful since most of the details out there are for the next gen models, i dont know how this will look on 'older' gens like mine.

For some reason I was thinking this was an MMO? I guess it's not...? Maybe I'm thinking of LOTR Online or something like that.

Anyway, this does look interesting, will probably get it eventually. Kinda busy with Borderlands 3 and AC Unity right now.

Picked up SoM for all of about $14, tried it out for the first time today. Ok, kind of interesting, basically a fighting game set in the LoTR universe. And wow, yet another game where you climb towers to open up the map for a region... :laughing: It's amazing to see the effect the Assassin's Creed series has had on the gaming world.

Did a little more of this one today, and I'm not sure if I'll continue. It's just fight after fight after fight... yeah there's a little exploration and side missions (where you get to choose different types of fights :laughing: ) but overall it's just kinda grim. Not really my type of game. But the mechanics are clever and the plot is at least a little bit interesting, so I dunno.

thanks for your insight pauly, im still in the process of moving, but i guess i kinda dig the gore. :happy-smileygiantred:

unadulterated version of AC

played this on the ps3 for a while, and as much as I was gorged into it, I felt the frame rate and frame drop significantly takes away from it.

Definitely a great game but was frustrated by the loading times, the frame drops etc. textures I don't mind, but it definitely was pushing the limits on my ps3.

this is probably the most expensive game I have at the moment.

comes with a ps4.

got on the ps4 version, definitely smoother, much better gameplay, and yes, it was missing a lot in the ps3 version.

great game, great results, and yes, there is a lot of gore so tread lightly.

Congrats on the upgrade! :laughing:

I definitely had no such issues on the PC, in fact it was easier on the GPU than a lot of recent games. Then again, I've optimized for stuff like FarCry 4 and AC Unity, which are INTENSE on the GPU.

PaulyT said:
Congrats on the upgrade! :laughing:

I definitely had no such issues on the PC, in fact it was easier on the GPU than a lot of recent games. Then again, I've optimized for stuff like FarCry 4 and AC Unity, which are INTENSE on the GPU.

hehehe, thank you. I didn't want to really mention it earlier, since I thought this thread was primarily for the game itself. I did want to forewarn anyone about buying the 'last gen' version of it, versus the ps4 one since it makes it 'easier' I guess on the processor.

I love the nemesis system, I love the upgrades, but it does take a lot of time to upgrade from the start (since I don't have much to work with and redo my older missions)...

The ps4 is great, but I don't have anything that significantly shows the difference of last gen and this one. if I was to actually mention, the sound on the ps4 is significantly lower than that on the ps3 based on the Shadows of mordor game. Blu-ray tho is pretty much the same thing. I just wish it was as loud as the ps3 version. one thing I kinda like is that the ps4 has a headphone set plug on the controller, taking that from the 360 camp (genius move on 360)...

hows AC unity tho? im curious about that one too. :happy-smileygiantred:

Finished Unity recently - it's very good. I liked it better than Black Flag. More of a "normal" assassin main character.

PaulyT said:
Finished Unity recently - it's very good. I liked it better than Black Flag. More of a "normal" assassin main character.

i have to admit, i got kinda tired of the black flag character. i always seem to remember the joker for some odd reason.

anyways, is it comparative to the ezio series? hows the storyline on it? lastly, please dont tell me there are 'races' again. :angry-tappingfoot:

:laughing: No races. Or chasing bits of paper flying through the trees. There are a number of new types of side quests, including "rifts" (portals into another time period, which do have some timer component to them, but not races per se), and murder mysteries which are fun IMHO. The main guy (Arno) is sort of like the young Ezio, potentially just as good a character, though who knows whether they'll develop him further.

Not that this game is in the same style of games that you guys are talking about, but I picked up Lego Hobbitt last weekend for the XboxOne. I know Paul has played the lego games, and this one is pretty good. Much harder than the other ones, and gameplay is much more open. Have only played for a few hours so far, but it is pretty good, especially for only $30.

That's definitely on my list. I have the lego LOTR, also good. I think I need to get the latest (3rd) lego batman as well.

PaulyT said:
That's definitely on my list. I have the lego LOTR, also good. I think I need to get the latest (3rd) lego batman as well.

We got Danny Batman 3 for Christmas and he really likes it. I think you'll like Hobbitt. It plays a little different, and there is just such a big Middle Earth to explore.

I should also mention, it's the first one that I can remember where in the cut scenes, the lego characters actually talk, and I think it is even the actual actors from the film doing the talking.

Cool. There's talking in Batman 2, as well. And I think in LOTR... don't remember for sure. Anyway, just ordered lego hobbit (ebay for $20), thanks!

just a heads up, Shadows of mordor is at $29.99 for the ps4 version, the lowest its been since release.

i am having so much fun with this game, even got to 'handle' some uruks and have them battle each other out (of course, you have to lend a tipping hand)...

its a great game for those interested.

http://www.amazon.com/Warner-Bros-Inter ... &camp=2025

Back