• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Roku vs Firestick and Live TV

Snake Doctor

Just cancelled Directv now I have about two weeks to be ready for streaming. The more I read about the different services and Roku vs Firestick the more confusing it is. I want to see local channels and see football during the season my wife wants House Hunters/House Hunters International, so which way to go? YouTubetv looks good as does Atttvnow, Hulu the good thing is there isn't any contracts.

I have a bias for Rpku products. Have bought 6 over the years and only minor problems occasionally that I can't even remeber.

I seven Rokus in my house, I love them too. I prefer the higher end sticks. They have RF remotes which I find handy.

I am a FireTV guy after going through 3 Roku devices. The main reason is that I prefer the Amazon Prime interface and integration with Amazon Alexa and Amazon Music.

I am a FireTV guy after going through 3 Roku devices. The main reason is that I prefer the Amazon Prime interface and integration with Amazon Alexa and Amazon Music.

Ditto
With the notable exception of the Fire Cube which I sold. I couldn’t tolerate it dropping the volume of the TV whenever any Alexa device in the home was being used.
I’ve got a few Rokus, Fire, and an AT&T Osprey. I like the Osprey best but it’s primarily an AT&T TV Now device.

I've used Roku boxes, sticks and TV sets for years. I like that they work with Amazon Prime, Google, Vudu and even the new Apple streaming service coming out. Roku supports the most services hand down.

Having said that, I prefer the Android TV interface and the overall performance of my NVidia Shield.

Ditto
With the notable exception of the Fire Cube which I sold. I couldn’t tolerate it dropping the volume of the TV whenever any Alexa device in the home was being used.
I’ve got a few Rokus, Fire, and an AT&T Osprey. I like the Osprey best but it’s primarily an AT&T TV Now device.

Count me in on this one too...

The new NVidia Shield TV has AI up-conversion for 1080p to 4K that is supposed to be stunning. All the reviewers are saying that it blows the up-scaling in most TVs away.

After reviewing everyone's input I think I will be going with Roku. What service providers do you use? I have Netflix, Hulu and Amazon prime which are good, but I want something that will allow me to see the local stations and sports. Also, I have been told I should test run providers I am thinking about rather then waiting until I lose directv in a couple of weeks. I should hook up with a few weeks before cutting the chord. That will give me time to see if that is what I like and decide. Here are the ones I am looking at directv now, Sling, Hulu with live TV, YouTube TV and of course I would keep the standby Netflix.

Last edited:
My friend uses the cheapest AT&T TV plan and loves it. There a few sports stations she doesnt get, but she get damn near every game she wants to watch.

I’m a fan of AT&T TV. I should make it clear that I’m an AT&T employee but I objectively think it’s streaming live TV service is really good. I especially like the mobile apps.

I also have AT&T TV Now (formerly DirecTV Now) and am very happy with it.
I have the $70 package and added all the movie channels.
I'm sure there's live sports I'm missing (college, NO Sunday Ticket, No Red Zone Channel), but I see all the major stuff and they have the Regional Sports networks that I need (SNY, YES, MSG).

Interesting all of you are with AT&T TV. I will do the free subscription starting this weekend if not before. Any other suggestions as I wander through the shadows of leaving the world of cable services?

I just left paying for any live TV. For sports I go to a friend's house, or a sports bar. Some games are streamed on services I get like: 1) CBS All Access which streams the local CBS station as well as the CBS Sports channel; 2) Amazon Prime has shown most of the Thursday Night Football games as well as many college games not being broadcast in my area; 3) YouTube, Facebook and Twitter often has live streams from the company broadcasting very popular games and sporting events. Between all those options, I rarely miss anything, though sometimes I have to get dressed and be around other people to see certain games.

I will say, though, I actually watch sporting events when something is on I want to see. I don't do like my friend with AT&T TV who just loves having football on all weekend while she cooks, visits, cleans house, and hosts far too many cocktail parties (bitching sessions) with the neighborhood ladies. If you are a background sports "viewer," then my the solution which works so well for me would be terrible for you.

I have been streaming a week now took down the Directv DVR today they will cut it off either Monday or Tuesday anyway. I went with Youtube TV. The main reason was being able to get all of the local channels, two out of three were available in my area but not all three. I get 70 channels for
$49.99 and we are getting everything we want with the exception the NFL network, well that was mine, my wife could care. The picture is just as good as I was getting, there was some buffering but I got a micro card and that seems to have taken care of it. (I hope). Thank you for all of the information. As usual you guys are full of it..... Information that is. :toast:

I broke down and registered for Disney+
Really kicking myself for not getting in on the presale.

Back