• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Rodriguez

Botch

MetaBotch Doggy Dogg Mellencamp
Superstar
Very interesting segment on 60 Minutes tonight about this guy. I'll try to summarize:
Mexican immigrant who grew up in Detroit. Became locally "known" as a singer-songwriter, and recorded/released two albums in the late sixties. They went nowhere. He got a house in Detroit and took manual labor jobs.
But, for whatever, reason, his music took hold in... South Africa. It sold, it sold incredibly. He was bigger than the Beatles; and he was bigger than Elvis. But he never knew about it, there was no inter-continental communication. He never got paid a dime. Then, somehow, South Africa had learned he'd committed suicide. Nothing helps an artist's career like a suicide, no matter the medium! He became even more popular, the "soundtrack to people's lives".
He still didn't know anything about this.
Enter a broke 19-year old film-maker wannabe from Scandinavia. He learned about Rod while visiting SA, and was intrigued by the story. He eventually made his way to Detroit, and found Rodriguez, alive and still working manual labor. Word got back to SA, and he was invited to tour the nation. He did so, to huge, huge crowds. Huge success!
He came back home. Nothing. He went back to his manual labor job.
BUT, that 19-year-old kid from Scandinavia had been filming the whole thing, most of it with his iPhone 4. He built a film out of the footage, editing and building it himself over a 4-year period, and he entered it in the Sundance Film Festival, HQ'd just east of me in Park City Utard. His film was not only accepted, but opened the festival, and was a huge success.
Rodriguez finally debuted on the American stage, on Letterman! He's begun a tour of the US now, lots of interest. Just turned 70. Has trouble walking, and is almost blind.
What a story. What an incredible story.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qh-99_1k3mE[/youtube]

Moral of the story, it's not what you know, but who you know.

Rope

I happened to catch most of the segment on this guy. Wow!

What an extraordinary chain of events in the life of a very unique individual.
Kind of a shame it took 40 years (20 would've been sufficient)
An amazing story . . . .

Hey Botch, thanks for posting...............we watched this and what an interesting story and life this guy had (has)!

Amazon has the soundtrack to the documentary for $5 to download, which I did last night. Music quality isn't the best, so for me, the download was just fine. Listening to it, I get the feeling that if someone had invested a little more time and energy into him, he would have been a lot bigger.

Great story Botch, I just watched this off the DVR and wanted to see if someone posted something about this.

Came across this thread when I was about to cover the same topic, but decided to search first...

A few days ago, while laid-up with my cast on a pile of pillows and looking through the Netflix documentary selections, I came across Searching for Sugar Man. It's a documentary about Rodriguez that won an Academy Award in 2013 - after Troy's post. It's an amazing film - easily one of the best documentaries I've ever seen. Full of life, reality, hope, and great music.

At one point I had to pause the movie and log into my Amazon account. Yup - they stocked both of Rodriguez' only two albums. They came today (Cold Fact and Coming From Reality.) I've been listening non-stop. Some of the greatest music that I've previously never heard before! Actually some of the best music I've ever heard. Period.

I'm still amazed that I'd never heard these before. This is like discovering Dylan, or The Beatles, for the first time.

Jeff

Thanks Jeff. I've got the movie, and love it, but hadn't gotten around to ordering those two albums. You've motivated me... ordered!

Wow, I gotta check out the documentary and his music. Very cool story.

Its a shame he cant get something for all his success in South Africa via intellectual property or something???

After reading Jeff's resurrection of this thread I decided to give this movie a look. Truth be told I had seen the title many times while perusing Netflix. I didn't actually read the synopsis, just looked at the cover and for some stupid reason known only to me I thought is was that pseudo documentary Casey Affleck made about that bizarre dealio that Joaquin Phoenix was doing(looked it up, "I'm still Here" is the title). Anywho, watched the doc and loved it. Such an incredibly unbelievable story!! Ordered a couple of his cd's from Amazon this morning.
Moral of the story...when Botch posts...read and pay attention. He is a wise sensei!!! :bow-blue:
Mike

51lHLT5Xq5L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Got this yesterday, watched it tonight. The doc didn't mention the scandinavian guy at all, in fact it looks like this whole thing ended in 2000. Still, I regretted buying this the other night (damn you One-Click) but after watching the full movie, damn glad I own it; thanks again Jeff for bringing it up! Again, what an incredible story! The documentary plays snippets of a few of his songs, could tell just from the short bits that his songwriting is right up there with Dylan and Prine, but his singing voice is SOOO much easier to listen to.

Speaking of which, The Man In The Brown Shorts™ just brought me both his albums, looking forward to listening tomorrow! :music-rockout:

Botch said:
51lHLT5Xq5L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Got this yesterday, watched it tonight. The doc didn't mention the scandinavian guy at all, in fact it looks like this whole thing ended in 2000. Still, I regretted buying this the other night (damn you One-Click) but after watching the full movie, damn glad I own it; thanks again Jeff for bringing it up! Again, what an incredible story! The documentary plays snippets of a few of his songs, could tell just from the short bits that his songwriting is right up there with Dylan and Prine, but his singing voice is SOOO much easier to listen to.

Speaking of which, The Man In The Brown Shorts™ just brought me both his albums, looking forward to listening tomorrow! :music-rockout:
Am very interested in hearing what you think of the CDs.

Back