• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Proving my own theory on Art and Acoustics

Flint

Prodigal Son
Superstar
For decades I have declared that art, décor, and acoustic treatments can all work together to make a room look more than acceptable to potentially fantastically stylish. With great frustration I would encourage people to make some small changes to the decorations they hung on their walls, or look for specific common aesthetically attractive room décor which also provided acoustic benefits - to no avail, if the product wasn't featured in an issue of Southern Living or the home décor section of Lowe's they refused to make any effort.

Recently, with my recent divorce, I have been investing in paintings by local artists as shown in my thread on the subject (here). Most of these pieces are displayed in large rooms with a very lively sound plagued with boingy echoes and deafening reverb. Since most of the paintings I've purchased are canvas stretched over a wooden frame, I decided to test my theory on a great way to calm a room without resorting to the perceived "ugly" traditional acoustic products.

So, I went on Amazon and ordered a box of 1" thick sheet of Owens Corning 703 compressed fiberglass. Since most of the stretched canvas art is on a frame with at least a depth (or thickness) of more than 1", I was planning on merely filling in the space behind the canvas with the mostly stiff fiberglass and cover that with something to keep the fiberglass fibers which might break off from floating around the room I put the art in.

Sure enough, I have installed the fiberglass in three of the larger pieces, used old bed sheets I would otherwise toss out to "seal-off" the backs with a staple gun and scissors, and got amazing - I mean truly amazing - results.

Here is a photo of the process while I treated one of the pieces I placed in my very open and sparse front room with a wood floor:

The art itself:
Art_2017_RedBuds_Canvas.jpg

The back with some OC 703 cut in pieces which fill most of the area, it was just over one full 24 x 48 sheet needed to fill this much area:
Art_AcousticTreatment_2017_A.jpg

Then, I stapled (using as few staples as absolutely necessary) some fabric from an old stained bedsheet):
Art_AcousticTreatment_2017_B.jpg

The result in that room was immediate and obvious. The room isn't completely dead, but it has fewer echoes and less reverb, making it seem quieter and more intimate. There are two other pieces in the same open space which will also get this treatment, so the end results, without any visible acoustic material, will be a much more livable space.

I am so glad I finally get to test this out.

I've now applied OC703 behind most of the paintings in my huge combined front room, entryway, staircase, and dining area. The results are definitely clear - mostly suppressing the frequency range of speech (100Hz to 3,000Hz) and making conversations easier to have as it cleans up the sound making it more intelligible. The treble echo is slightly reduced - not cured but definitely less prominent. I am impressed that for about $100 ($95 OC703 + $3 Fabric Glue + Free old Sheets), I have made the room much better to live in. There is still one huge painting I intend to treat, once that's done I will look into other options with whatever OC703 is left over. What a worthwhile investment for something which is completely impossible to see.

Back