• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Plasma may have died.

Randy

Superstar
So it appears my plasma may have died.
Place in St. Louis has a $90 bench fee and said it is probably a $300 to $400 repair.

Dont have time to make a poll but give me your thoughts.

Repair?

Replace?

So it appears my plasma may have died.
Place in St. Louis has a $90 bench fee and said it is probably a $300 to $400 repair.

Dont have time to make a poll but give me your thoughts.

Repair?

Replace?
I would replace. When my plasma dies that is what I will do. Regardless of what the repair is the rest of the set is still aged, and at some point other things will most likely occur which will cost another $300 to $400 or more to repair. Good money after bad. I love my plasma and enjoy the wonderful picture. However, there are now sets on the market OLED AND QLED that deliver a little better picture. In fact I was at Costco today and was comparing the two. Save yourself the money and heartache.........Replace.

problem is what happens to the old tv if you need to get rid of it?

best buy in my area, is able to take in any older tvs under 45 inches.

that means like, 4.

just a consideration when you get a new tv. personally, id get a new one as a gift to the new owners (if you like em)

Randy, didn't you say your set was in an unusual, semi-permanent installation, that you wanted to leave with the house sale?
If that was the case, I'd normally say repair, reinstall, and when the aging set breaks elsewhere, its the new owners' problem. BUT, I also recall you were selling to a friend/acquaintance; if that's the case, I'd present the issue to the new owner and ask them what they'd like you to do.

I just bought a 50in Toshiba 4K for a little over $350. Can't imagine getting any value out of fixing an old plasma for anywhere near $400.

Randy, didn't you say your set was in an unusual, semi-permanent installation, that you wanted to leave with the house sale?
If that was the case, I'd normally say repair, reinstall, and when the aging set breaks elsewhere, its the new owners' problem. BUT, I also recall you were selling to a friend/acquaintance; if that's the case, I'd present the issue to the new owner and ask them what they'd like you to do.

No, not really. It is a plasma that is wall mounted above the fireplace.

I was embellishing because of all of the work we did to make it right, and how well it turned out.

I think you were on hiatus when all that took place but I had a $1500 budget for the project and ended up spending like $4400.

Ran all new wire, had a new custom cap mantle made for the fireplace, bought a new up to date (then) receiver with all the current bells and whistles, professional plaster repair after we finished the install, and a LOT of hard work getting it done and making it look perfect. We had to drill diagonally through 2 stud cavities and then pull wire diagonally through 2 stud cavities etc.

I was really just planning on leaving it because of the weight and I didnt want to take it down and move it, which would allow me to upgrade to bigger display with 4k, blah blah blah...

Know this guy?

I would have to look through some paperwork but Clearly Resolved sounds familiar.
I think that's the guy that calibrated my Mits.
Apparently lack of parts for plasmas is
the real prblem.
The new Sammy is already hung on the new house and the Panny will not be fixed.

The new(ish) Sammy died.

I am now working through the repair/exchange dept.

Samsung has been relatively helpful although its been process.

Hopefully shopping tomorrow.

The new(ish) Sammy died.

That sucks man
Hopefully your exchange goes smoother than I’ve others have.

The new(ish) Sammy died.

Dang, can't give you anything nice, can we?

Back