• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Orson Scott Card - Formic Wars

• Thread starter Deleted member 133
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 133

I've been a long time fan of Card, from Ender's Game onwards. Although I must admit I have not kept up with all of the newer titles in that ongoing opera.

I recently discovered that I had missed his "prequels" to Ender's Game: the Formic Wars series (written in partnership with Aaron Johnston): Earth Unaware; Earth Afire; Earth Awakens.

I've since read the first two, and like Ender's Game, they were genuine page-turners. Neat characters. Neat premise. Fills in all of the gaps (so far) leading up to why Ender Wiggins was even needed.

I also discovered that prior to the novels being written, Card and Johnston issued two graphic novel series covering the same subject (but obviously with much less detail). I've obtained hardbound copies of both graphic series and they do a very good job of illustrating the story lines. If you are inclined to do both, I suggest the novels first.

Jeff

Cool, thanks for the tip - definitely interested in these. Yeah I'm a huge Ender's Game fan.

That reminds me, I need to see the movie... :oops:

PaulyT said:
Cool, thanks for the tip - definitely interested in these. Yeah I'm a huge Ender's Game fan.

That reminds me, I need to see the movie... :oops:
If you are a fan then yes, I agree the movie is worth watching. But for anyone else...not so much.

When did the prequels come out? The book was originally published in the mid-80s, right? I think I read it in the early 90s. The next book or two I read also, but I think I may have been too young to really grasp the meta idea of the books. I was more into the basic storyline and did not really enjoy Speaker for the Dead or Xenocide (stopped after those two).

The DirtMerchant said:
When did the prequels come out? The book was originally published in the mid-80s, right? I think I read it in the early 90s. The next book or two I read also, but I think I may have been too young to really grasp the meta idea of the books. I was more into the basic storyline and did not really enjoy Speaker for the Dead or Xenocide (stopped after those two).
2012, 2013, 2014 (last month) respectively.

Just finished watching the movie. I thought it was pretty good. Sure some details were different, esp. the very ending, but overall I thought it was a good adaptation. Watching the last battle when you know what's really going on was pretty powerful.

Oh, cool. Didn't know about the prequels.

As for the movie, IMO, it was about 85% of what I really wanted. That last 15% they missed ended up making Ender look more like a psycho than a young kid with PTSD. IMO, the Battle School part needed to be longer to drive home his strategic genius and leadership ability while also underscoring just how hard they were pushing him. They also weren't all that clear on the final command school battles- they made it seem like he had come clue that these weren't just simulations (they finally reveal otherwise, but that wasn't clear).

It was well done, but another half hour of movie would have been really useful. I get that some things had to be compressed (Bean wasn't in his launch group), but overall it was a decent job. It just needed a touch more.

Back