• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

My Xiaomi “Android TV” box kicked the bucket

Kazaam

It was cheap, glitchy, and underpowered to the point that it couldn’t deliver the 4K it promised.

Anyway... I used to like Android TV despite it missing some apps that were easily found on other streaming platforms. And app wise Android TV has gotten a lot better. But I’m not a fan of its evolution. I respect that Google is trying to show me all sorts of options from all my streaming services via the homescreen. Some people I’m sure love that. But I’m old school. Just let me go into the app to decide what to watch. Besides, the algorithm Android TV uses never seemed very accurate for me. Seriously, how did it never recommend clips of Tosh.O, The Straight Pipes or various cat videos? Because that’s half of what I watch on YouTube. What did it recommend instead? Peppa Pig. Peppa. F-ing. Pig.

Gonna buy the Roku Ultra 2020 when it goes on sale for $70, I think. See how that goes.

Google is replacing Android TV with Google TV. I have the new Chromecast with Google TV, which is the first device to offer it. It only cost $60 and I'm looking forward to playing with it. The main reason I haven't yet is that I bought it for the kid's hangout we set up in the basement, which is not ready for use yet. I already have a Shield TV on both of the upstairs systems, so I don't have anyplace to put it at the moment. I've heard good things, but it might be going even further in the direction you don't like.

The main issue I have with Roku right now is lack of support for HBO Max.

A month or two ago I thought maybe I’d buy both a Roku and the new Chromecast during the ”black friday” sales. But kind of settled on just the Roku for now. I like that Roku recently added Airplay 2 that I’ll use for music. Maybe will get the new Chromecast some day just for kicks and grins. We’ll see.

The great thing about streaming devices are so cheap that picking one up on a lark is a completely doable thing. I've got a Roku streaming stick and a Roku TV and have had at least one Roku device at all times since the Roku 3. I just prefer the Android TV experience and feel like Roku's interface could use a major refresh. One of the features I like best on Android TV is the ability to pick up with the next episode of whatever I've been watching on a lot of the services directly from the home screen and the Google TV system is supposed to be even better that way.

Back