• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Marantz SR7007

Randy

Superstar
Digital SUCKS!!!

We are doomed to a life of throw away consumer electronics. You may have read my recent display thread, which is still being resolved.

Several months ago we had power outage and significant power surge which took out HDMI switching and pass through.
It took me a bit to send it off to service center in Overland Park KS.

They got it and said the digital board is shot and Marantz no longer stocks it. He has to contact New York and see if they still rebuild it.

Its not that old and it was not a cheap piece of equipment.

This SUCKS.

Digital SUCKS!!!

We are doomed to a life of throw away consumer electronics. You may have read my recent display thread, which is still being resolved.

Several months ago we had power outage and significant power surge which took out HDMI switching and pass through.

They got it and said the digital board is shot and Marantz no longer stocks it. He has to contact New York and see if they still rebuild it.

This SUCKS.
That sucks Randy. Whatever you do, I would definitely get a really good surge protector going forward.

That is indeed very unfortunate. Maybe Marantz can offer a decent credit towards a new unit as opposed to sinking money into having a new board built?

That sucks Randy. Whatever you do, I would definitely get a really good surge protector going forward.
I knew someone would mention that and I do. On everything but my projector and apparently the surge came thru the projector through the HDMI and into the receiver.

Hower I would have preferred to replace the old cheap projector that was left with our house.

That is indeed very unfortunate. Maybe Marantz can offer a decent credit towards a new unit as opposed to sinking money into having a new board built?

It was a refurb I bought from accessories4less.com.

I doubt I will get any credit especially since it was power surge the caused the whole debacle.

But they might and I will gladly accept.

I like owning good equipment a long time. I have everything on Tripplite Isobars being in the SE the land of thunderstorms.

I like owning good equipment a long time. I have everything on Tripplite Isobars being in the SE the land of thunderstorms.
When I lived in Albuquerque ('87-'92) I lost three answering machines and a clock-radio to lightning strikes; no other appliances (including my Yamaha stereo, which worked from '79 to today) were harmed.
I had a "whole-house" surge protector installed here about ten years ago (I guess they're pretty common in places like FL and TX). Three years ago a 3-day wind-shear event hit me here, and the power lines behind my house went down; was without power for three days, and when they restored power the lines behind my residence still weren't fixed, which started a bad fire when the winds were still about 35 mph. It also fluctuated power in the house badly, lights were going crazy, but nothing burned out thanks to that surge protector. Except for my powered subwoofer; two amps in less than ten years now. Sigh.

My projector is plugged in at the ceiling as it was when we bought the house.
I didn't even think about surge protection on the projecter.

I could claim ignorance but...

I knew someone would mention that and I do. On everything but my projector and apparently the surge came thru the projector through the HDMI and into the receiver.

Hower I would have preferred to replace the old cheap projector that was left with our house.
Have you checked with your insurance company? They usually will cover incidents like this.

Digital SUCKS!!!

This SUCKS.
I think I posted awhile ago about my Sony STR-DN1080 making this weird noise then eventually crapping out. It was the start up capacitor or some such thing. That was probably 2 years or more ago. Well....it makes this sound now, like a cartoon sound , BOIINNGGGG every time I start it up. I know it is only a matter of time , ONCE again, until this thing fails.
To make a long story short...I feel your pain Randy!!

Have you checked with your insurance company? They usually will cover incidents like this.
Insurance company told me if I file a claim they might cancel me because we had a couple of car accidents (step kids) and the furnace fiasco.

BTW FUCK YOU STATE FARM!!!!

Insurance company told me if I file a claim they might cancel me because we had a couple of car accidents (step kids) and the furnace fiasco.

Bid out your business first to other carriers to know where you stand.

Bid out your business first to other carriers to know where you stand.
I have. I have been with State Farm since I was 16.
Every time I have checked I found them to be the cheapest unless chose I different carrier for every product and I'm not dealing with 7 different companies.
It's just easier to bitch at this point.

That's BS for them to do that. What's the point of having insurance if you can't file a claim? I'd still file and then cancel them.

Just got word it would be maybe $500 to fix the SR7007, if they can fix it.
He said they cant guarantee they can get all the parts.

So, off to decide what if anything I will replace it with.

Damnit.

Back