• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Interconnects

Huey

Famous
Did you know you can use component cables as audio interconnects? Did that a few years back in a pinch and finally got around to remedying that situation, as I noticed one of the front speakers wasn't playing as it should. I bi-amp the fronts, and one of the connections had come loose on the tweeter portion of it, although I never did notice it, although I have noticed the sound stage wasn't as good as it used to be. Forgot how I had it hooked up, and ended up order 5 single male/double male cables, when I really only needed two and a single cable for the center. Should have done this a lot sooner, just don't screw around much hooking things up as I used to.

Component cables are just 75Ohm coax, so they work fine for audio. Ditto for composite and digital coax.

Did you know you can use component cables as audio interconnects? Did that a few years back in a pinch and finally got around to remedying that situation, as I noticed one of the front speakers wasn't playing as it should. I bi-amp the fronts, and one of the connections had come loose on the tweeter portion of it, although I never did notice it, although I have noticed the sound stage wasn't as good as it used to be. Forgot how I had it hooked up, and ended up order 5 single male/double male cables, when I really only needed two and a single cable for the center. Should have done this a lot sooner, just don't screw around much hooking things up as I used to.
Yep I have made custom length cables in all sorts of situations with coax cable and some RCA terminals. The Batcave had them for a time and some other custom jobs.

Yep I have made custom length cables in all sorts of situations with coax cable and some RCA terminals. The Batcave had them for a time and some other custom jobs.
I'm glad I changed them out though. Could tell a difference in tone quality when setting levels, and come to find out, I had either a cable go bad or a poor connection.

I've used good old fashioned RG-6 in a pinch and my only real complaint was that it was stiff as hell and hard to work with. I don't use very many analog cables anymore, but most of the ones I do use are from Blue Jeans Cable.

blast from the past

blast from the past

That SoundHound guy sounds like a real wanker.

Seriously though, I've generally switched to using RG-174 cable which is much smaller and more flexible. Nothing really different with performance either way, and the same construction methods apply.

Back