• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Haywood's Updated Main System

Haywood

Famous
I don't think I've posted any system pics of the main rig since moving to the new place in Massachusetts. Most of the gear is the same with a few minor additions, the latest being the rear channel project Flint has been so kindly helping me with.

First the gear list:

Samsung 67-inch 120hz 1080p LED Light-Engine DLP HDTV
Darbee Darblet DVP5000 Video Processor
Onkyo TX-SR805 Receiver
Marantz MM-9000 Amplifier
Monoprice HDMI Splitter (feeds kitchen system)
Behringer FBQ800 9-Band Graphic EQ (for rear surrounds)
Logitech Harmony Smart Control Remote
Sony PS3 (Second Generation)
Roku 3
Squeezebox 3
Paradigm Reference Studio/40 v.2 Mains
Paradigm Reference Studio/CC v.2 Center
Paradigm Monitor ADP-370 v.2 Surround
Infinity Two-Way Bookshelf (model unknown) rear surround
SVS PB12-Plus/2 Subwoofer

The seating is a Lovesac Sactional with five bases and five sides. The rest of the furniture is all Ikea, except the BDI TV stand and the antique chair.

IMG_20151206_155901932_zpsjwtw9zhc.jpg

IMG_20151206_160113737_zpsivkkkcyt.jpg

IMG_20151206_160124035_zps4ipbks33.jpg

IMG_20151206_160214078_zpsyrcv2jgd.jpg

IMG_20151206_160445519_zpsj0cuwvuj.jpg

One of the rear surrounds tucked down behind the couch and being investigated by my cat.
IMG_20151206_160609919_zpsiiagsz0f.jpg

The only way to make that surround arrangement sound decent, courtesy of much input from Franklin. There are two rear speakers running on a single channel with the receiver configured to 6.1. An RCA splitter cable feeds the EQ, which feeds two channels on my power amp. I would not have been able to make this work without that external amp. Fortunately, it was just driving my mains and had three channels available for use.
IMG_20151206_155414594_zpsbmnrsrno.jpg

My DLP has begun a long (hopefully slow) death. I am hoping to get at least another six months out of it before I have to buy a new set, because I really want a 75-85 inch UHD HDR set with great picture quality and I do not want to spend more than $4000 if I can avoid it.

Very nice indeed. As for your TV dilemma, prices are really dropping. Keep an eye out for deals, as we approach Christmas.

Wardsweb said:
Very nice indeed. As for your TV dilemma, prices are really dropping. Keep an eye out for deals, as we approach Christmas.

The sets I want are all very expensive right now, because they are very new. I do not want to buy something without HDR, so I am going to wait as long as I can for prices to drop. I would love to score the new 78" Samsung 8600 series, but I cannot touch the $8k price point. I figure waiting a year could cut that price in half, so I'm really hoping my set lasts that long. I do not want to spend more than $4k and even that is pushing it a bit.

i think with televisions, its quite difficult to be an early adapter. of course, theres the hefty ticket to get in, plus you got the quirks and joys of dealing with first gen stuff. quite similar with gaming as well as any major appliance.

great looking room boss, awesome and oh so neat!

jomari said:
i think with televisions, its quite difficult to be an early adapter. of course, theres the hefty ticket to get in, plus you got the quirks and joys of dealing with first gen stuff. quite similar with gaming as well as any major appliance.

great looking room boss, awesome and oh so neat!

Thus my desire to wait as long as I possibly can. Display tech is changing so quickly right now that it is a dicey time to buy.

While I'm checking for a HDMI splitter, I saw where they have yet decided what HDR will be universal for all manufacturers including the new disc players which have been said might come out mid year 2016.
Pray your set lasts like you want.

If I had to place a bet today on what the standard is likely to be, I would probably pick Dolby. I'd rather not make that bet though.

Back