• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Final Sanity Check on my new receiver

Botch

MetaBotch Doggy Dogg Mellencamp
Superstar
This was kinda hard to take, but I have to admit that my TV/receiver issues (both 13 years old) were NOT caused by my TV, but rather my receiver's HTML output stage going kaput; it can't be repaired.
I'd replaced my 47" LG "local-dimming" LCD with a 55" Sony OLED this Spring, and the picture improvement was glorious, so I guess after 13 years that's "okay", but I still regret tossing a functional, decent TV. Water under the bridge.

I've always been a Yamaha guy. My first stereo receiver was purchased in '79, and except for two power meter bulbs going out, is STILL fully functional and sounds great. My first 5.1 receiver was purchased in 2010, and except for the HTML stage going out, was perfectly happy with it too. I did a deep-dive looking into the NAD receivers, but in my price range they were missing a few key components, notably an on-board phono preamp, so I nixed them.

Right now Crutchfield has two Yammy's that I'm looking at, the RX-A2A "Aventage" (their "premium" line) at $1,000, and the RS-V6A at $600. Crutchfield has some really neat online comparison features, and I selected both receivers, called up their specs side-by-side, checked a box that said, "Show only Differences", and really found the results intriguing:
https://www.crutchfield.com/g_10420/Home-Theater-Receivers.html?fa=1#&nvpair=FFBrand|Yamaha

In a nutshell:
- the "Aventage" was 66% more expensive
- the Aventage has a fifth, center-mounted foot under the chassis, which for a 22-lb receiver is complete marketing bullshit.
- the Aventage has a detachable power cord, the RSV does not. This is a huge advantage in music keyboards where you're setting up on stage Friday night, tearing down early Saturday, doing the same Saturday night, setting up at home to learn new songs, tearing down/setting up at the rehearsal space on Wednesday night, doing it again at home to tweak things, wash/rinse/repeat. On an A/V receiver, meh.
- the Aventage can "upscale" to 8K, but neither my Oppo's nor my Bravia TV can display them
- the Aventage weighs less than a pound more than the RSV, which tells me there's no increase in the power supply capacity (and they have identical watt outputs). And I've never been a LOUD music/movie fan, most demos at our GTGs were borderline painful to me, and I'm even older now.
- the Aventage has 3 yrs parts/labor warrantee, the RSV has 2 years; meh
- the Aventage remote has a lot more buttons, and is much more confusing (again, I'm older now)

So, I'm about to pull the trigger on the RSV, but figured I'd blow it past you guys if you see anything I've missed (I think I'm the only Yamaha guy here, not sure). TIA.

This was kinda hard to take, but I have to admit that my TV/receiver issues (both 13 years old) were NOT caused by my TV, but rather my receiver's HTML output stage going kaput; it can't be repaired.
I'd replaced my 47" LG "local-dimming" LCD with a 55" Sony OLED this Spring, and the picture improvement was glorious, so I guess after 13 years that's "okay", but I still regret tossing a functional, decent TV. Water under the bridge.

I've always been a Yamaha guy. My first stereo receiver was purchased in '79, and except for two power meter bulbs going out, is STILL fully functional and sounds great. My first 5.1 receiver was purchased in 2010, and except for the HTML stage going out, was perfectly happy with it too. I did a deep-dive looking into the NAD receivers, but in my price range they were missing a few key components, notably an on-board phono preamp, so I nixed them.

Right now Crutchfield has two Yammy's that I'm looking at, the RX-A2A "Aventage" (their "premium" line) at $1,000, and the RS-V6A at $600. Crutchfield has some really neat online comparison features, and I selected both receivers, called up their specs side-by-side, checked a box that said, "Show only Differences", and really found the results intriguing:
https://www.crutchfield.com/g_10420/Home-Theater-Receivers.html?fa=1#&nvpair=FFBrand|Yamaha

In a nutshell:
- the "Aventage" was 66% more expensive
- the Aventage has a fifth, center-mounted foot under the chassis, which for a 22-lb receiver is complete marketing bullshit.
- the Aventage has a detachable power cord, the RSV does not. This is a huge advantage in music keyboards where you're setting up on stage Friday night, tearing down early Saturday, doing the same Saturday night, setting up at home to learn new songs, tearing down/setting up at the rehearsal space on Wednesday night, doing it again at home to tweak things, wash/rinse/repeat. On an A/V receiver, meh.
- the Aventage can "upscale" to 8K, but neither my Oppo's nor my Bravia TV can display them
- the Aventage weighs less than a pound more than the RSV, which tells me there's no increase in the power supply capacity (and they have identical watt outputs). And I've never been a LOUD music/movie fan, most demos at our GTGs were borderline painful to me, and I'm even older now.
- the Aventage has 3 yrs parts/labor warrantee, the RSV has 2 years; meh
- the Aventage remote has a lot more buttons, and is much more confusing (again, I'm older now)

So, I'm about to pull the trigger on the RSV, but figured I'd blow it past you guys if you see anything I've missed (I think I'm the only Yamaha guy here, not sure). TIA.
I have come to the conclusion in my old age that sometimes less really is more!!
I say go RSV.
Oh, and unless your receiver is writing code I think you mean HDMI rather than HTML !!??

whats RSV?

go for a soundbar. :D

tongue in cheek, but i am also super happy with my sony soundbar.

1. i have a sony tv, so it works well
2. i cant really watch full blast anymore ever since i handed my balls over to my mother in law living here rent free and under her roof.
3. kids kids kids. cant see redrum stuff anymore and the insidious world without my kid popping his head out at 11pm.

guess the only thing i have to look forward to is the green jello and not the red one.

whats RSV?

go for a soundbar. :D
RSV is the first few alpha-numerics of the receiver I'm considering, in the link above.
I don't even need a soundbar for watching TV news, which is about the only thing I watch on the TV beyond DVD/Bluray concerts, and for them I have my built-in 5.1 Monitor Audio speaker system, no sound bar required!

_DSC0034.jpg

Last edited:
Back