• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Dune 2021

Seems I’m in the minority with my thoughts on the film. But detractors have similar complaints as me. Seems that if you’re not familiar with the books there’s a lot of back story to be filled in and IMO maybe go for the TV series a la GoT If that’s the case. I‘ll probably do a refresh before part 2 comes out and maybe then it will all come together but I’m in no hurry at all to revisit this.
There's a reason Dune was/is considered a flop either in 1984 or the mini-series...probably for the very reasons you're disappointed. Although David Lynch/The Producers tried to get around it by having the shitty narration in the beginning by the daughter of the Emperor. Seems like you have to jump in whole hog and embrace the confusion, or know that its going somewhere (a la: having read the book). My children liked it (10 and 13) and had no exposure to anything Dune beforehand...I read the first book and maybe the 2nd and I consider it to be a bit better than the 1984 version, but of course very updated and taking more time to run through the plot (the narration by the daughter of the Emperor basically goes through 45 minutes of the new version in about 1:30).

Yes a two part (or more?) movie sorry didn't catch your question.

Watched it Sunday. Great looking movie. Good home theater material although I would have liked to have seen in on a big IMAX or XD screen. I think Dennis Villeneuve did an admirable job creating an authentic feeling and looking Dune universe with all the background mythology and lore of the different Houses and factions. Kind of like GOT meets Star Wars. I thought Timothee Chalamet was good and also that Rebecca Ferguson maybe stole the show a little. At over 2.5hrs run time when it ended I immediately wanted to see more. But I also liked the slow pace and that Villeneuve seems to be committed to patiently telling the story and letting it unfold naturally and not rushing straight into the action (although there is a good amount in this installment). Not sure if there will be a single sequel of if this will be a trilogy? Have not read anything to confirm one or the other but looking forward to seeing more. Anyone know when the next one is slated to be released (or if production has even been started yet)?
i went in and couldnt agree more the world he built imo was what captured my attention, my yearning for a new world, i IMMEDIATELY wanted something similar. blade runner had the same feel to it, but not as 'grand staged' as this one did. its like GOT in sci fi.

Timonthee chalamet and rebecca ferguson did an outstanding job, but so did the rest of the crew.

I had to watch the original one, and quite frankly, im not as disappointed with it as i thought i would be. enjoying it for the story.

i wonder how the series is/was in regards to such matter.

sidenote, if anyone can recommend something similar in the world he built, let me know. i need a skyrim or a fallout place.

Just started this now (on Netflix). I’m a little skeptical because I’m so involved in this story and have lots of opinions on movie/tv adaptations of it before both positive and negative…. Withholding judgement for now.

Back