• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

dolby atmos on netflix - Xbox one s, xbox one x or apple tv?

jomari

War Never Changes
Famous
main goal - to stream netflix atmos on AVR. current tv and blu-ray player (sony x700 doesnt support atmos). i have the 4k netflix plan now

i really dont have any knowledge on xbox, so im kinda dumbfounded on it.

based on research (a mere 5 minutes after waking up), i saw xbone x is the newer one, and has 'native 4k gaming'

i dont have apple products, only my mom does. i bet i cant use my personal movie files on it due to copyrights etc. or use MPX player on it since its android based.

am i really missing out on atmos or am i making a big deal out of it? i still buy 4k media anyways, despite streaming capabilities.

by the way, im still going to be gaming on a ps4 and using this primarily for streaming netflix 4k atmos stuff only.

makes me want to just use the avr and have it psuedo atmos the content instead... hmm. save me 200 bucks or 300 if i get a xbone.

or just go to gamestop and buy a refurb unit to get it cheaper...

just trying to make the most out of fathers day sales etc.

main goal - to stream netflix atmos on AVR. current tv and blu-ray player (sony x700 doesnt support atmos). i have the 4k netflix plan now

i really dont have any knowledge on xbox, so im kinda dumbfounded on it.

based on research (a mere 5 minutes after waking up), i saw xbone x is the newer one, and has 'native 4k gaming'

i dont have apple products, only my mom does. i bet i cant use my personal movie files on it due to copyrights etc. or use MPX player on it since its android based.

am i really missing out on atmos or am i making a big deal out of it? i still buy 4k media anyways, despite streaming capabilities.

You can play your own movie files on just about anything using Plex, so don't worry about that part.

Netflix Atmos is new, so not every Atmos capable streamer supports it yet. My NVidia Shield handles Atmos from Vudu and Amazon, but not Netflix. I fully expect that to change in the not terribly distant future. Right now, the only devices that do Atmos on all of the services are the Apple TV and XBox One X. The downside with Apple TV is that it is Apple, so your options for buying content are pretty much limited to iTunes. If you absolutely must have Atmos on Netflix right this minute, I would go with the XBox. Personally, I would wait.

I would wait too, until it is more of a standard. My Pre-Pro processes it all but I don't even use it yet. Not sure if I even will anytime soon. Hell, I've even gotten rid of my surrounds ever sense moving into my latest place 2 years ago. I'm only using FR C FL and sub. Sounds pretty damn good too!
:toast:

Thank you both guys, funny thing is, wifey and I saw kinja deal showing 169 for the x box one s via Ebay, from newegg I think. She wants to get it for me for my drivers license/father's day gift. So I think it kinda hit two birds.

I really wanted to get thr nvidia, but since this is solid, we will get it later this evening. Btw its only good until the 16th for those interested.

The Xbox One X supports Atmos, but not all games do (not sure about the One S). As far as streaming Atmos, I know it's theoretically possible, but I never saw it with Netflix (granted, we never used it much so we canceled it), but hopefully there will be more availability as time goes on.

thanks akula.

i want to get the xbox one x, but its just too expensive to justify if im not necessarily using it as a dedicated gaming console. im only using it to stream stuff, and secondary 4k uhd player.

too bad sony's x700 couldnt do netflix atmos streaming. plus my lg tv video looks much better than the sony.

just got my xbox one s, and quite frankly love its form factor. i HATE that its white.

set up the stuff on my LG SJ9 soundbar for the meantime, and atmos works pretty well. great.

heres the kicker.

my tv CANNOT support XBOX one s dolby vision.

great. its either i set up the sony x700 and use it for 4k movies, AND set up the xbox one s to use for netflix atmos.

so its either i live without dolby vision, or live without dolby atmos.

*sigh*

and no, the wife didnt say no anymore but since i recently bought
- an avr for atmos
- new polk TL250 speakers to fit my entertainment center
- new smaller jbl leviton speakers for atmos surrounds
- an xbox one s

JUST so i can get my f*cking atmos groove on, i dont think she needs to say no to a new tv.

although i do love the new hisense h8f 65 inch for 700 bucks.

it was my birthday yesterday, so i had to try to accomplish something to start off my HT setup in the living room.

i played around with the xbox one s, and realized it has utilities to show you

- 4k details about your set up,
- a calibration function
- atmos settings for headphones.

i dont think i'd purchase it full price, but at the price i paid for, it was well worth it. there are deals out there that hit the 200 mark and if you plan to play games on it, its a great console.

by the way,

Ryse - son of rome - is it worth it?

any xbox exclusives i should purchase?

i also saw recore, but apparently its a lot of walking or running.

Quick construction question,

Contractor opened up a portion of the ceiling, and i asked if he can essentially put my speaker wire in there. goddamn it, its a morning for me wasted on installing the plates on the walls, but its done.
1. how is it done? do i drill a small hole to fish the cable in/out?
2. im assuming i drill a small hole in ceiling TOWARDS the attic, then he can find it via flashlight. but is there a specific way he should 'run' it down towards the front of my HT area?

a. speakers from REAR Height Left/Right pull towards front area (its the chimney for reference)
b. Front Height RIGHT to go to Front Height LEFT speaker.
c. all speaker wire drops from LEFT speaker,
d. tuck ALL speaker wires inside a channel, then drop to AVR

its not a full fledged project for him, since hes still working on pantry and bathroom area. this is more or less a favor from him.

sorry for bumping this thread, i just wanted to find out if just sticking a cable in the ceiling and drop it to the surround is the cleanest way of doing it. i dont know if there is such a thing as a wire cover thingy.

Back