• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Dish to U-Verse

yromj

I've had Dish for over 10 years and have always been really happy with the service and features. Since we're going to build a house, we're moving to an apartment and Dish isn't an option. So, I'm got U-Verse installed yesterday.

I have it set up for 3 TVs & 18GB/s Internet. I got lucky and got a very cooperative installer so I was able to get hardwired TV service in all 3 locations and wired Internet where I needed that as well. I played with the TV for a few minutes yesterday and everything is fine so far. I also installed the U-Verse app on my phone and used it to set the DVR to make a recording Sunday.

Things like the app, on-demand, and other features are what I'm most curious about. I loved that stuff with Dish and I'm confident that U-Verse will provide a similar level of service. What I'm going to be curious about over time is the nuances of each and which I prefer.

For example, yesterday when I set the recording using the U-Verse app, that was very intuitive with good response time. Using the Dish app wasn't that intuitive to set a recording and sometimes there was significant lag when trying to do things. I think the Dish app was actually working directly on the DVR (I remember it waiting while the Hopper came on-line) while the U-Verse app may have been working in the cloud and then sending the information to the DVR. First impression of that was very good.

I'll occasionally post random thoughts of the experience as I get more into it. If nothing else it will help me when I move again to decide which I want to use then.

Oh, one other thing...I know that T7 has talked about how he uses 2 networks in his house and after seeing this I understand why. I'm going to do that and here's the way I'm going to do it: The modem has a 4 port switch built in. I'm going to run wires from the modem to each of the 3 TV boxes. The other port I'm going to run to my router and set my network up behind that. Is that similar to how you did it, T7? I'm also going to at least ignore, and possibly disable, the ATT wifi and just use my own. Again more about that as time goes on.

JOhn

At one point or another, I've had DirecTV, Dish, Cox, Comcast and U-Verse for television service. I have to admit that I do not miss any of them at all, as live sports are really the only reason left to watch linear television and I'm not a sports fan.

yromj said:
The modem has a 4 port switch built in. I'm going to run wires from the modem to each of the 3 TV boxes. The other port I'm going to run to my router and set my network up behind that. Is that similar to how you did it, T7? I'm also going to at least ignore, and possibly disable, the ATT wifi and just use my own.

Pretty much...
The gateway has 4 ports; Ports one and two are for Uverse TV network and port 3 is for the home data network
Port 1 = 8 port gigabit switch to connect all the hardwired TVs (4 at the moment)
Port 2 = Uverse wireless TV bridge (for the 2 wireless STBs)
Port 3 = goes to the WAN side of a stand-alone wireless router. That router feeds another 8 port gigabit switch that feeds all of the non-Uverse devices in the home; my PC workstation, printer, BD players, AppleTV/Roku, etc.
Port 4 = vacant

The AT&T gateway I have has mediocre wifi range/performance and is located in a less than ideal location for coverage. I put the third-party wireless router in the best possible spot for coverage so we use it's wifi for all of the mobile devices in the house. BUT ... I do keep the AT&T gateway's wifi ON so that I can use the Uverse Remote App to control TV's with my phone/tablet. I use that app for the TV on the patio (which much easier than an IR remote because the STB is located inside the garage with no line of sight) and when I'm using the Slingbox to stream to my iPad when I'm at home (because it's much easier than using the virtual remote on the Slingbox app.

The only "gotcha" to look out for is to be sure to set the PCs to default to the stand-alone "data only" network's wifi since it's the network with the (hardwired) printers.

The gateway box was the one thing about U-Verse that I genuinely hated and had a lot to do with why I switched to Comcast back when I lived in Michigan.

Haywood said:
At one point or another, I've had DirecTV, Dish, Cox, Comcast and U-Verse for television service. I have to admit that I do not miss any of them at all, as live sports are really the only reason left to watch linear television and I'm not a sports fan.

If I wasn't a huge football fan, and didn't have kids, it would be the same for me. Heck, I think if I could just have ESPN and the SEC Network, I'd be happy with those channels and Netflix.

Yesfan70 said:
Haywood said:

If I wasn't a huge football fan, and didn't have kids, it would be the same for me. Heck, I think if I could just have ESPN and the SEC Network, I'd be happy with those channels and Netflix.

A bunch of the sports leagues now have premium channels available on Roku. You can get ESPN through Sling TV. Local broadcast can be covered with an OTA DVR such as my Tablo and also made available on Roku or Fire TV. I am not sure about SEC. I do know the NFL has a subscription service. Of course, at some point it is not longer less expensive.

There is an unbelievable amount of kids programming on Netflix, Amazon and Hulu, plus lots of other content from PBS, Smithsonian and other services.

Yesfan, Sling TV will work on your roku (it carries ESPN, ESPN 1 & 2 etc, has a SEC sports channel, Disney, etc). My local PBS has 4 channels (one is Spanish), FOX has 2, ABC has 2, CBS has 2, NBC has 2 (all the national broadcast channels also have Spanish channels besides what I listed).

Barney said:
Yesfan, Sling TV will work on your roku (it carries ESPN, ESPN 1 & 2 etc, has a SEC sports channel, Disney, etc). My local PBS has 4 channels (one is Spanish), FOX has 2, ABC has 2, CBS has 2, NBC has 2 (all the national broadcast channels also have Spanish channels besides what I listed).

A friend of mine had SlingTV and hated it. I can't remember why, but I'll ask him next time I talk to him.

I have heard bad things, but everything I heard was in the first few months and I have no idea if they ever fixed the problems.

I noticed that the U-Verse remote seems to handle the 30 second (if it's 30 seconds) skip differently than other devices I've used. Instead of skipping forward, it seems to actually fast forward. Also, and this might be related, I can't simply tap the button 5-7 times and skip through that many commercials. I also miss the auto-hop feature A LOT!!

John

Yeah. I think I read somewhere that they wanted the user to see a few frames of what they were skipping past. As for pressing the button multiple times; you have to space each button press by about a second. It can be tedious if you're used to something else.

Towen7 said:
Yeah. I think I read somewhere that they wanted the user to see a few frames of what they were skipping past.

Almost wish someone would invent some kind of a "scroll wheel" for that. :shhh:

Back