• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Did Cutting the Cord Save Me Money

Haywood

Famous
As many of you know, I finally cut the cord completely when I moved to Massachusetts in favor of an off-the-air DVR, a collection of subscription-based streaming services and a combination of Usenet and Plex Media Server to cover any gaps. I am very pleased with this setup. It is flexible, easy to use and provides an incredible wealth of content. It does not, however, save me much money.

It may seem counter-intuitive, but cutting the cord is more a matter of cost shifting than cost saving. For example, I spent almost $600 setting up my OTA DVR solution. That works out to $25/mo for two years. Cutting the cord also put more emphasis on streaming services and I spend about $35/mo on subscription fees for Netflix, Hulu Plus, Amazon Prime, Funimation and Drama Fever. In fairness, I was already paying for most of these subscriptions before I dropped cable. I also spend about $15/mo for a collection of Usenet accounts and services that allow me to fill in the blanks left by broadcast television and my streaming services. All told, the two year amortized monthly cost of the DVR combined with Usenet and streaming services works out to about $75/mo. This is not cheaper than cable, so what is the advantage to doing it?

The main advantages of cord cutting are content and convenience. Those streaming services provide on-demand access to a vast array of programming that cable cannot match, mostly without advertisements and entirely on demand. My OTA DVR is a very low maintenance appliance that allows me to access my live and recorded TV content anywhere I have internet access. I can do anything I want to with the recorded material and can expand my storage as needed. Plex Media Server plays well with just about every device known to man and consolidates the rest of my media in one easy to use location. Home videos, family photos, audio books, television shows, movies and our entire music collection are all there and available anywhere. There is even integration between Plex and the Tablo DVR.

The advantage off all this combined with my substantial ongoing investment in UltraViolet licensing is that my family has a single, simple, comprehensive media interface in the form of Roku. Absolutely every type of content we own that is not on disc is available in one very easy to use interface. Roku's excellent centralized search feature also makes it easy to find out which services have a given movie or TV show. If I want to watch Doctor Who, I can find out in seconds which services have it and at what cost (if any). This is a very powerful thing when you have a family full of people who are not all that tech savvy. Roku also offers a wide variety of free news and weather sources, as well as quite a bit of other free content from PBS, The Smithsonian and hundreds of other organizations.

The only place this starts to fall apart is sports, but that is improving rapidly as more professional leagues offer their own streaming services. Right now, cable cutting is not for sports fans, but I expect that to change very soon.

My experience has been slightly different, in that it IS saving me money, after six months or so.
I dropped Comcast at $218/mo, went OTA + an internet provider at $53/mo. The OTA didn't work for me, so I've got about $500 in equipment that is useless to me. Got Dish (Dish only, no internet/phone) for $47/mo/year, to get the networks and, for awhile anyway, CNN. The only subscription fee I had was Amazon Prime, which I already had strictly for the 2-day shipping (which is not being honored anymore for me either, I'll probably be dropping it). The only AP show I watched was The Daily Show, but since my Dish came with a Hopper I just record it the night before off Comedy Central anyway.
The OTA gear is now paid off, and I'm saving ~$100/mo. The Hopper is a great new thing that's useful to me, so the whole exercise has been worth it.
Still wish I knew why I can't get OTA here, though.... :|

I am saving money, just not piles of it. The Tablo will likely be used for a lot more than two years and I was paying for most of my streaming services even when I did have cable. I probably knocked $40/mo off my bills, but that is not a life altering amount. The cost savings are not big enough to really motivate me to do it, but I found that the other benefits made it worth the initial hassle and investment.

I tried to cut the cord but I'm so far from the OTA transmitters that I got barely acceptable reception with the large antenna in the attic. I'd have needed a 20' mast outside to get the most reliable signal. Also, the complication and expense of getting OTA programming onto a DVR and to all the TVs in the home was too much for the family to deal with. I had to have a PC with an OTA card running constantly and the extenders were not cheap or all that user friendly. Tablo solves that problem (assuming the PQ is acceptable) but I still have the problem of the antenna reception.

I'm okay with Netflix and Amazon Prime for movie content.

I grew tired of Hulu's weird content restrictions, like allowing some content to be viewed only on a PC or mobile device and not through a TV based device (Roku). Ultimately the straw that broke the camel's back was indeed sports. Especially Monday Night Football. If I had to have a subscription to ESPN through a cable provider to stream content, I may as well watch over the cable (unless I'm travelling of course). Even now the leagues that offer streaming content charge more than I'm willing to pay.

I am saving about $150 a month after cutting the cord. I upgraded to Time Warner's fastest internet and I am only paying for Hulu+ and Netflix. I don't count Amazon Prime because I was paying for that before I cut the cord.

So, annually I am saving about $1,800... that's pretty damn good!

Haywood said:
The only place this starts to fall apart is sports, but that is improving rapidly as more professional leagues offer their own streaming services. Right now, cable cutting is not for sports fans, but I expect that to change very soon.
How do you go without the Patriots, Celtics, Red Sox, auto racing etc?

Trudge said:
How do you go without the Patriots, Celtics, Red Sox, auto racing etc?

I rarely watch sports, but I do get all of my local broadcast channels via the quad-tuner Tablo DVR. There are some streaming services for various sports, but I don't use any of them as I have no interest.

Flint said:
I am saving about $150 a month after cutting the cord. I upgraded to Time Warner's fastest internet and I am only paying for Hulu+ and Netflix. I don't count Amazon Prime because I was paying for that before I cut the cord.

Are you factoring in the money you invested on hardware and software to enable the setup you have? That is the main reason I am claiming that cord cutting saved me less money than I expected. If I eliminate the up-front investments and only look at the monthly bill, the number is bigger.

Haywood said:
Flint said:

Are you factoring in the money you invested on hardware and software to enable the setup you have? That is the main reason I am claiming that cord cutting saved me less money than I expected. If I eliminate the up-front investments and only look at the monthly bill, the number is bigger.

What hardware? I use my Sony Blu Ray player for online content in my HT. I did get a a Roku 3 for my downstairs system on sale for $79 bucks. I haven't Invested in any software at all.

Flint said:
Haywood said:
Flint said:

What hardware? I use my Sony Blu Ray player for online content in my HT. I did get a a Roku 3 for my downstairs system on sale for $79 bucks. I haven't Invested in any software at all.

I thought you were running a Windows Media Center at some point.

Haywood said:
I thought you were running a Windows Media Center at some point.

Two points:
1) I purchased and installed the Windows HTPC nearly a decade ago. Cutting the cord did not require any new purchases on my part.
2) Even if I didn't have the HTPC, I would not make any effort to install a new one now that I've cut the cord. I haven't used my HTPC in 4 months - not once.

We use our Tablo DVR a lot, although it would have been easier in ways to just get everything off Usenet with nzbDrone.

Wow you guys pay a lot for cable/sat service. My Directv bill is 71.00 a month with the next to the last tier service (needed my AMC so couldn't get the last tier. I pay for Netflix that I share with my mom and she uses my account for Vudu and after my father passed my mother cancelled all her movie channels except HBO/Cinemax as she puts it I'm updating Vudu with new releases faster than any pay movie service and she only keeps HBO for their series which I never buy. Her monthly Dish bill dropped from 150.00 to 61.00/month by dropping all the movie channels my father wanted.

Yes my mother has threatened to cut me from the will if I ever drop her from Vudu and Netflix. I'm up to just over 1,400 HDX titles on my Vudu account and growing. My mother and I share the same movie tastes so she loves everything I add. Here's a clue to my moms personality. She asked me at one point if I ever was gonna add the Final Destination parts 4 and 5 after loading 1-3. Just a 75 year old who loves gory horror movies.

If you do not factor in sunk costs like the DVR hardware and lifetime programming guide, I only spend $41/mo on streaming services including Netflix, Hulu Plus, Amazon Prime, Funimation, Drama Fever and Viki. The last two are both mainly K-Dramas for my wife, while Funimation is all Anime and mainly for my older daughter. I also spend about $15/mo on Usenet-related subscriptions, which brings my total up to about $56. That is a lot less than I used to spend for cable plus Netflix, Amazon and Drama Fever, which is what I had before.

Back