• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Costco deal on LG OLED C1 77" $2399

Doghart

So I'm wondering if it would be worth it to upgrade from my 2018 model 65" C1 LG OLED? I paid $2500 for the 65" set in 2018 and never had an issue with it. PQ is more than acceptable for how it's currently being used. Maybe I'm just itching for something new, bigger, shinier... lol

I'm guessing the PQ has improved a bit in 4 years, but what else would a new set bring to the table, besides an extra 12" of screen size?

EDIT: Looks like Best Buy and other major retailers have the set at this price right now, but I don't see any others offering the 5year extended warranty.

Last edited:
12” of diagonal screen size is not insignificant especially if the PQ has been improved. I will never advocate against an upgrade!! :D

Dawg, where you been?!?

When my 12-yr-old LG with local dimming gives up the ghost, I can replace it with a 55" LG OLED, but anything larger will bump into my wall-mounted CC speaker. Hope it outlasts me.

Dawg, where you been?!?

When my 12-yr-old LG with local dimming gives up the ghost, I can replace it with a 55" LG OLED, but anything larger will bump into my wall-mounted CC speaker. Hope it outlasts me.
I lurk around mostly.

I really haven't bought any new gear in the last 4-5 years, maybe longer, but I still enjoy reading the posts here.
I just wrapped up a 7 year project at work that had me pretty occupied and on the road quite a bit, so I may stop around more often. :)

I think it’d be worth it just for the increase in size. If it all works good, that is. I’ve had bad experiences that will make me feel a little hesitant to upgrade TVs in the future.

My last 2 TV purchases have both been a pain the caboose due to manufacturing defects. My 70” Sony: The first one had seriously unacceptable screen uniformity and, due to an unfortunate situation, I was forced to rent a UHaul van to return/exchange it to/at Best Buy rather than them just dropping off a new one and taking the defective one. And then my 50” Samsung: First one had a defective speaker. It wasn’t the hardest to return but apparently Samsung uses the same packaging box that they’d use for tiny 32” TVs. So it was kind of heavy and awkward to slide it back into the box; it would’ve been so much easier if it were the 55” model where the box top slides over the bottom and then locks into place.

That said even with the pain it all eventually works out.

Oh and then one more thing went wrong…. When I later bought an Apple TV 4K for the 50” Samsung I discovered the two devices didn’t play nice. Almost like an HDMI handshake issue. With presumably protected content I would either get picture or no sound OR sound but no picture. I kind of blame the Samsung TV since I had a second Apple TV 4K available to test and it also didn’t work with the Samsung. Also…. I’ve been wanting to buy a Sonos Beam soundbar for it and apparently Sonos doesn’t play nice with a lot of Samsung TVs. Now since you’re looking at another LG maybe it’s all good. I’m just a little down with electronics not working the way they’re supposed to. My track record lately is terrible. That said I totally get the appeal of going bigger than the 65”. Just don’t ditch it until you know the new one is 100% good.

Oh and then one more thing went wrong…. When I later bought an Apple TV 4K for the 50” Samsung I discovered the two devices didn’t play nice. Almost like an HDMI handshake issue. With presumably protected content I would either get picture or no sound OR sound but no picture. I kind of blame the Samsung TV since I had a second Apple TV 4K available to test and it also didn’t work with the Samsung. Also…. I’ve been wanting to buy a Sonos Beam soundbar for it and apparently Sonos doesn’t play nice with a lot of Samsung TVs. Now since you’re looking at another LG maybe it’s all good. I’m just a little down with electronics not working the way they’re supposed to. My track record lately is terrible. That said I totally get the appeal of going bigger than the 65”. Just don’t ditch it until you know the new one is 100% good.
Had a friend that picked up the 77" C1 about 6 months ago and he also came from the same 65" C1 set I currently have. He did pay quite a bit more then, $2899 I think, which was a good deal since that set was $3200 at Costco at the time. But he raves about how much better the PQ is. I can't see it being leaps and bounds better but I think I'm going to do the "Be happy with what I've got" thing for at least another year.

I recall dropping $4k on a Denon 5800 receiver and 6 months later HDMI came out and rendered it practically worthless. I used it for a while with a separate HDMI selector box but I eventually traded it for mountain bike parts... lol

Maybe the 77” has brighter HDR? But can’t hurt to wait. Stuff is always getting better and/or cheaper.

Back