• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Cord cutters, what do you miss?

I get that this plan may work for you, but I am confident they have an ulterior motive which you will be forced to contend with in time. For me, personally, I am not a fan of turmoil and having to make concerted efforts to constantly get what I expect and deserve. So, when I finally lost all desire to keep dealing with the local cable company every 6 to 9 months when they'd try to screw me over, I fired them and will never, ever go back. The cable industry has survived on what I consider unethical or very marginally semi-ethical practices, and as such I no longer trust them at all.

Hell, when TWC sold the local service to Charter and rebrand as Spectrum, they just cancelled my plan without any prior notification and they moved me to an equivalent priced plan which was 25% of the speed with data caps. I raised hell and they didn't care. Now they are offering double the speed (still half my prior speeds with TWC) at the same price if I were sign up as a new customer today and they are bragging their plan is cheaper - though it isn't. They refused to honor my prior plan and then attempted to argue that if I would get their cable TV service in addition, it would cost the same, thus saving me money. I call BS on that. I don't want to support the industry any longer as they are losing and getting desperate and not helping customers at all. To me, your "free" plan in part of a larger scheme to screw you over.

I have no real skin in the game. If they screw me, I'll just drop it and buy that antenna.

For me I really don't miss anything. DirecTV now has in the last week greatly improved their menu system which I use to miss a lot, but no more.
Actually two things that i do miss over comcast is the speed between channels/menus, and a simple one push back button. As I've mentioned before in my case I'm saving right near $100.00 a month and I'm getting better channels. Because of this large savings I tend to over look the small flaws. Also my regular TV viewing only accounts for about 20% of what I watch. After years of watching HBO,CINAMAX, SHOWTIME, NETFLIX, and PRIME original content I find broadcast TV shows very watered down and childish.

If my savings got cut down to around $25.00 a month I might switch back. Then again I'd lose 2 of my favorite channels if I did.

Holy crap. Cable companies seem to be cutting fees like crazy to stem the tide of people dumping them. "HD Technology" fee? Gone. DVR fee? Gone. All packages no include cloud DVR. Box rentals? Down to $2.68 (mine was free). First CableCARD is free, extras are $0.80.

My point is not that cable is great, but that competition from streaming seems to be driving prices down. I think the only thing keeping the package prices high is the content providers, but the downward pressure is going to hit them too. This is a good thing. Competition is always a good thing. More attractive cable TV options could also help keep streaming prices under control.

On the downside, they are still playing games with promotional rates and that shit gets old. I suspect that it will only be a matter of time before they are forced to knock that shit off too. The only reason I accepted this "free" package is that it is not a promotional rate, but I still have to deal with that crap on the Internet side. Major pet peeve.

There are a few times that I’m glad I work for an ISP. One of those is when I hear people complain about pricing and bundles. Not because I get a modest discount, but because there’s no dicking around with promotional rates and requirements. It’s kinda like shopping at CarMax.

Holy crap. Cable companies seem to be cutting fees like crazy to stem the tide of people dumping them. "HD Technology" fee? Gone. DVR fee? Gone. All packages no include cloud DVR. Box rentals? Down to $2.68 (mine was free). First CableCARD is free, extras are $0.80.

My point is not that cable is great, but that competition from streaming seems to be driving prices down. I think the only thing keeping the package prices high is the content providers, but the downward pressure is going to hit them too. This is a good thing. Competition is always a good thing. More attractive cable TV options could also help keep streaming prices under control.

On the downside, they are still playing games with promotional rates and that shit gets old. I suspect that it will only be a matter of time before they are forced to knock that shit off too. The only reason I accepted this "free" package is that it is not a promotional rate, but I still have to deal with that crap on the Internet side. Major pet peeve.
That's real good news.

I’ve talked myself and the wife into keeping DTVnow for a while longer. Not because we like it but because of the cost savings. We’re seeing DTVnow taking significantly longer than expected to initiate a video stream as well as occasional buffering. More often than not the guide will lag: the further I scroll the longer I have to wait for the program info to fill in.

I am however going to increase my internet speed to see if that helps.

Back